What an incredible 2 days at the Advanced Olive Milling Seminar (August 18-19) at The Institute for Food and Agriculture at Fresno State! It was a sold-out seminar at the brand new Jordan Agricultural Research Center that brought together olive millers & industry professionals of all levels from across California.
Photos available on our Facebook page.
The panel included an expert-led powerhouse of the following people and topics:
-David Garci-Aguirre, Corto Olive Co. Production Mgr.
-Pablo Voitzuik, Pacific Sun Farms & COOC Sensory Panel Member
-Gianni Stefanini, Apollo Olive Oil Head
-Thom Curry & David Scholder, Temecula Olive Co. & Olive 2 Bottle Mill
-Mary Bolton, California Olive Ranch Technical Service Mgr.
- The state of modern milling (chemical understanding, not all phenols are the same)
- Advance Techniques (fruit & milling temperature key, melax time to decanter time, filtering)
- Tastings & sensory evaluation (we had 3 sensory sessions & breakout discussions)
- Fruit care & harvest management (a field trip to the Fresno St. olive farms)
- Milling effects on flavor profiles & defect development (the sensory session that compared effect of heat on oil)
- Live milling, cleaning & maintenance standards (out at mobile mill for demos)
- HACCP planning & food safety (new FDA registration/documentation now required)
- Filtration, racking, hygiene & storage (more discussion on filtering related to shelf life)
- The future of olive oil production (the industry is in a state of transition)
- Again, very awesome. I'm extremely grateful & privileged to be among so many great, knowledgeable people!